5/7/16

1014

"What's your favorite part of what you do?"

"My biggest joy as an artist is when the painting surface seems to disappear and I feel I'm living inside the scene I'm painting. There's a Latin quote that I have carved onto my mahlstick. It says: "Ars est celare artem," which means "true art is the concealment of artifice."

In other words, it's easy to make a painting look like paint, but it's much harder to make a painting that involves a viewer so completely that he feels the heat of sun on his neck and the sand in his shoes. I wish this effect happened more often in my own work. It never happens without a lot of sweat and struggle. I don't take all the necessary steps often enough, because I've got a lazy streak like everybody. But when I do, I'm glad, and it's well worth it the trouble."